Thursday, June 4, 2009

What Craig David and LeBron James Have In Common

"I''m walkin' away, from the troubles in my life, I'm walkin' away...."-Walkin' Away, Craig David

This whole thing isn't news anymore, and it's well known now that Bron walked off the court in silence after his Game 6 elimination loss to the Magic. I heard about the Email or text or whatever he sent, but that doesn't mean much to me. My boy BFlo and I were watchin ESPNEWS the other day when LeBron said something to the effect of "It's like getting beat up, do you shake hands with someone after they beat you up? No. I'm a competitor, it's what I do." First off, no one was trying to beat you up, they were trying to advance to the NBA Finals, the same thing you were doing. Second of all, it's my opinion that a true competitor has respect for his opponent, regardless of outcome. LeBron didn't show much respect by avoiding the Magic. The great thing about hoops is, people play hard to win, and as heated as it might get on the court, most people always know it's not personal, and everything is the same once it's over as when it started. Atleast that's how it's supposed to be, that's how PROFESSIONALS should handle it. As well as LeBron has always handled the media and all of that, I feel he made a big mistake by disrespecting the Magic, and then defending himself days later. I understand if you are just that mad at yourself in the moment or something, but if that's the case, then apologize later. It's a shame that his unforgettable series was capped by a Detroit Bad Boy-esque move.
  • As little as ESPN Hockey analyst Barry Melrose does for me, he made a great point in a discussion over LeBron's walk out. He said "LeBron, if you can do everything right when you win, you better be able to do the same when you lose." I'm not going to offer analysis on this quote, it's pretty self-explanatory. Just wanted to give props where props are due.
  • People love to compare LeBron and MJ on their play, but let's go ahead and compare them on this topic. I recently read an article on ESPN.com in which Joe Dumars talked about how Jordan reacted after losing a series. "We beat the Bulls in the playoffs three years in a row, and after every series Michael made a point to come over to me after the game, shake my hand, and give me a hug. So when they beat us, and Isaiah and Co. silently left the court, I made sure to find Mike, and give him a handshake and a hug." MJ didn't just leave the court, he swallowed his pride, and showed respect for his opponent. Because of this, Dumars showed the same respect for Jordan when the tables had turned. As blogfan Rico Flora said the other day, "Are you big enough to make yourself small?"
Gracias por su tiempo, Adios,

Big Wil

No comments:

Post a Comment